In this article, I will explain How to Connect Soundbar to Projector using HDMI, SPDIF, Analog, and wireless connections.
Audio and video experience have been exponentially boosted with the help of soundbars and projectors. So if you have a soundbar and a projector, can you connect them? And, if it is possible, should you should connect them?
Can I Connect Soundbar to Projector?
You can connect a soundbar and a projector. You will need either an extended HDMI cable, an RCA cable, or another type of cable that is compatible with your projector. If you don’t want to run cables across the room, you might want to use the wireless transmitter (Bluetooth, HDMI) option.
How Can I Connect Soundbar to Projector?
While projectors operate as a central hub for your devices, many projectors don’t support advanced digital soundbar systems or analog soundbars.
So firstly, you must identify a compatible projector port with a compatible port on the soundbar.
We got some ways to connect your soundbar to a projector wired and wireless. It will be a step-by-step guide to help you get the best connection possible.
Here are some of the connections that you may find on your projector and soundbar system:
- HDMI or HDMI ARC
- SPDIF or Digital Optical Connection
- Analog Connections
- Wireless Connection (WIFI and Bluetooth)
1. How to Connect Soundbar to Projector with HDMI?
The HDMI connection is the best way to connect a soundbar to a projector because it offers the highest audio quality than any other cable connection.
So if your soundbar and projector have the HDMI or HDMI ARC port, I would suggest using that connection.
HDMI ARC is even better for the improved sound quality, but that connection is not common in low-budget projectors. So if your projector and soundbar have the luxury of an HDMI ARC port, use a high-speed HDMI cable for crystal clear audio.
Follow these steps to hook them up:
- Switch off both your soundbar and projector
- Find the HDMI or HDMI arc port on both devices.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the projector, and the other end to the soundbar
- Turn ON both devices. If you face any issues, restart both devices. 99% of the time it solves the problem.
- For a 7.1 soundbar system, the HDMI ARC will downgrade to 5.1.
- If your soundbar is system 5.1, then you don’t need to downgrade it.
What if Your Projector Doesn’t Have an HDMI ARC Port?
If your projector doesn’t support HDMI ARC, purchase an HDMI adapter from Amazon with an HDMI ARC audio output.
Connect the audio or video source with the adapter, then the adapter will have two outputs, HDMI normal and HDMI ARC.
Connect the normal HDMI output port of the adapter with the projector, and the HDMI ARC port with the soundbar.
4K ARCANA 18GBPS is one of the best HDMI adapters in the market. I would suggest getting this.
If you are looking for projectors with a built-in HDMI ARC output port, then I got a list of projectors that are currently at the top of the food chain.
2. SPDIF or Digital Optical Connection
This type of connection is also used to get high-quality audio.
SPDIF is a digital connection that can either use RCA or TOSLINK connector. Check the input of your soundbar and output of your projector to ensure they are compatible with the connection.
SPDIF can use both round RCA connector, and square TOSLINK connector.
If devices are compatible, follow the below-mentioned steps to make a connection.
- Turn OFF both devices
- Plug one end of the RCA SPDIF or TOSLINK into the output of the projector, and the other end into the compatible input of the soundbar.
- Now connect the input device or device to the projector.
- Turn ON both devices.
- You can also connect the audio output of the projector to the digital, optical, or SPDIF output, and the soundbar’s input to the corresponding input port.
- If the connection doesn’t work, restart both devices. 99% of the time, it solves the problem.
3. Analog Connections
Analog is the simplest type of connection because it doesn’t involve any compatibility issues, the right cables will go to the correct port. If you are not tech-savvy and want something simple, I would suggest analog connections because they are fuss-free.
There are two types of ANALOG connections, RCA and AUX. Here is how you can make the connection:
- Turn off both devices
- Locate the RCA port on the projector, and connect the left and right RCA cables to the RCA port.
- Or, locate the 3.5mm port on the projector, and connect the 3.5mm aux cable to the port.
- The second end of the cable cables will be connected to the compatible port or ports of the soundbar. Locate the 3.5mm port or RCA port on the soundbar.
- You can also use a 3.5mm male to 2x RCA male stereo adapter if you want to switch between the two connections.
- Connect your input devices to the projector.
- Turn ON both devices and enjoy.
- You can also set the projector output to analog, and the soundbar input to analog if necessary.
An aux connection which is also called a mini-jack connection should be your last option if nothing works. It isn’t that great in terms of sound quality.
Checkout our guide about How To Connect Speakers To Projector?
4. Wireless Connection (WIFI and Bluetooth)
To establish a Bluetooth connection between the soundbar and projector, you have to pair both devices as we do with our cell phones.
This type of connection will not be as good as an HDMI because it is prone to interference from wireless and electronic devices.
WIFI connection works the same way, both devices need to be connected.
Follow the steps mentioned below to use a projector with a Bluetooth Speaker.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your soundbar and enable pairing mode.
- Go through the menu of your projector and turn ON the Bluetooth. Look for a soundbar.
- Accept the connection. Enter the pairing code (if required).
- The soundbar should automatically connect with the projector, but restart both devices and try again in case of failure.
If you are still facing trouble connecting the soundbar to the projector, check the video mentioned below.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
How to connect the Gaming Console to Soundbar and Projector?
If you have a PlayStation or Xbox, purchase a 1×2 HDMI splitter to connect the gaming console with a soundbar and projector and follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Turn ON all devices.
- Connect the gaming console with the HDMI splitter.
- There are two output HDMI ports available in the HDMI splitter.
- Connect one output with the projector and splitter with HDMI.
- The other end with the soundbar and splitter with HDMI.
- Restart all your devices, and you are good to go.
How to Connect Soundbar to TV?
Run the RCA/AUX cable from the TV’s audio output to the input of the soundbar if you are using analog connections. For digital optical or HDMI ARC, connect both devices using the HDMI cable. For Bluetooth connection, go to the settings of both devices and find Bluetooth. Pair both devices to secure a connection. For each connection type, restart both devices. HDMI or digital optical will deliver the highest quality of audio.