In this article, we have explained in detail How To Hang a Projector Screen From the Ceiling using very simple techniques. I have recommended some top ceiling mounts as well.
Trying to get the most out of your home theater projector? A ceiling-mounted projector screen will be perfect to go for. Not everyone appreciates the idea of wall hanging projector screen. The possibility of this can either be space deficiency or your personal choice not to hang the screen on the wall.
Hanging a projector screen from the ceiling can be a great solution but most of my peers don’t know how to do it.
In case of hangs improperly, your projector screen will be at high risk of falling down. It will end up either with scratches or break down into pieces. As projector screens are not so cheap to buy, no one will ever wish them to be damaged.
That’s why, in this article, we’re going to provide you with step-by-step instructions to hang the projector screen from the ceiling.
Before we further go down, check out my article on the Best short-throw projectors if you are looking for a budget unit with spectacular picture quality.
Materials Required To Hang Projector Screen From Ceiling
below are the tools for hanging projector screen from ceiling:
- Snap links
- Eyebolt screws or toggle bolts
- Wall-hanging L bracket
- Ceiling hooks
- Measuring tape
- Stud finder
Find The Best Location To Hang Projector Screen From the Ceiling
If you are switching from a TV stand to a projector screen then it can be a bit challenging task for you. But if you mount your projector screen improperly, you will be deprived of having real fun watching your favorite TV shows. That’s the reason, you should always look for a perfect place to mount a projector screen to get a better viewing experience.
Do not hang a projector screen near windows or doors, if you don’t want to be interrupted by family members while watching your favorite movie. You shouldn’t hang it in a place where lighting can affect the view and visual quality.
Hang the projector screen in a direction opposite to your sofa or somewhere you can enjoy a good view from every corner of the room.
The most important thing to consider while the hanging screen is that your ceiling should be sturdy to hang a screen on it otherwise if it’s not strong enough then it can get cracked due to the heavy weight of the screen.
To resolve this issue, you need to find joists or studs.
If you don’t know about them, then joists or studs are frames used to support the ceiling. They are very strong and you’ve to locate them to hang the projector screen properly.
If you don’t know how to locate them, then you can use a stud finder which is a device to locate studs by flashing red light or you can use a powerful magnet. A magnet will stick to the screws present in the studs.
In case there’s no stud present at the place you’re planning to hang the projector screen, then install a wooden beam or plank under the drywall. Once you complete this major step, you can start the process of hanging the screen from the ceiling.
TOP 3 Best Projector Ceiling Mounts Selected by our Team
- Wali Universal projector ceiling mount
- Feldx Universal projector ceiling mount
- VIVO Universal projector ceiling mount
Benefits Of Hanging Projector Screen
There are some very interesting benefits of styling the projector screen from the ceiling. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Impermeability to damage
- Can be raised and lowered conveniently
- The screen looks self-effacing, when not in use.
How To Hang A Projector Screen From The Ceiling
As you’ve found about the materials required, the location for the hanging screen, and the benefit of it, now we’ll discuss the step-by-step process by which you’ll take this task to its completion.
Prepare The Projector Screen
Most of the projector’s screens come partially ready to mount on the ceiling. There will be bracket connectors present on the top edge of the projector screen. The purpose of these connectors is to hold the screen up and luckily, they’re already installed for you.
All you have to do is to install hook snaps and eyebolts. Now start setting up the projector screen as it is only a two-step process.
- Bracket connectors will be present on the top of the screen casing that is designed to hold screws.
- When you are done screwing the eyebolts, snap the hook snaps into the eyebolt loop.
If there are no hook snaps in your projector screen, you can find them easily at any electronics store.
Prepare The Ceiling
Once you are done preparing the projector screen, now is the time to prepare the ceiling to mount your screen. With the help of a drill make holes in the ceiling. For more ease, it’s better to predrill before starting the installation process. It will help to find out whether you are going to hit the ceiling joists or not.
If somehow you don’t reach the stud, find out the distance between the hole and the stud with the help of a sturdy wire through the holes.
After finding out the stud, you can attach more screws to the stud. For this purpose, you can use eyebolts or toggle bolts.
Things will be much easier if you go for using eyebolt screws for attaching the screen. It is only a two-step process.
- Insert an eyebolt screw into the ceiling and twist it by applying little pressure if there’s any need for it.
- Connect the hook straps to bolts in the ceiling and take those hook straps you attached to the screen bracket connectors.
- Toggle bolts
There are more than two steps involved when you’re using toggle bolts. Toggle bolts are very important if security is the first priority.
A ceiling stud will be needed for this step due to its horizontal base and holes in the base for the screws.
- To fit the folded wings of the toggle, drill a hole in the ceiling.
- Take the wings out of the toggle bolt.
- Now insert the toggle bolts into the ceiling hook.
- After inserting the toggle bolts into the ceiling hook, reconnect the wings. Leave at least 3 threads space at the top.
- Place the toggle bolts in the predrilled hole by folding the wings.
- Tighten the toggle bolt and hook with the help of a screwdriver.
Though toggle bolts are also good for security it takes too long to complete this task. It can even take two or more hours.
Install The Projector Screen From The Ceiling
After completing the above-mentioned tasks properly, now go for installing a projector screen from the ceiling.
In this step, you’ll need to take extra help from someone to raise the screen to install on the ceiling. After raising the screen to the expected height, align the eyebolts attached to the pre-drilled holes.
In the end, snap the hook snaps onto the eyebolt loop to align with the projector screen.
Go For A Test Run
The installation job is complete and now you can go for a test run to find out whether you’ve done this job properly.
Turn on your projector and examine the clarity and proper projection. Align the screen, if it’s improperly aligned.
For better results, you can also go for further adjustments to place the projector.
lets chout our comparison about gray vs white projector screens
Do’s And Don’ts
- Make all chords seamless.
- The power outlet should be close to the projector.
- Always read the manual that comes with the projector.
- Do your calculations properly.
- Don’t use cheap apparatuses for mounting.
- Don’t leave cords hanging.
- Don’t tie the cable to the projector.
- Don’t go for installation without doing any math.
- Don’t choose a room with multiple windows.
- Don’t place the screen too close to the ground.
Though the process of hanging a projector screen from the ceiling isn’t a very difficult and risky task, you can take some safety measures for better output.
- Keep your kids away from the site you’re doing this installation job.
- If the screen of the projector is too large, it’d be better to hire someone professional to avoid any risk.
- Drill holes in the ceiling properly and with great care.
- Do not drill too deep as it can damage the ceiling.
- Make sure that everything is adjusted properly before hanging the screen.
- Do not overtighten the screws.
- Deal with eyebolts, snaps, and hooks carefully.